Thursday, March 14, 2024

Blog Post #1 - 5 News Sources

My Sources for News in 2024

As voting for the presidential election is upon us, keeping up with the news is increasingly important. This is especially true because this is the first presidential election where I will be able to vote. However, it is also important to me to be current with the news, not only for the presidential election but also to learn about current events in the U.S. and worldwide. Here are some of my daily news sources:


TikTok

First, my most frequent news source is TikTok. TikTok is a great source for getting quick information while scrolling. Typically, information is broken down and made easy to understand. These videos usually cut out unnecessary details and are straight to the point. As someone who does not have much time outside of studying, I find that this style fits my lifestyle well. It is also great to see users' reactions to information in the comments sections, which is interesting to get a census of emotions on a given topic. However, getting your news from TikTok has its downsides. Since anyone who follows the terms and conditions of the app can post, determining false information can be difficult. Therefore, once I find information on TikTok, I follow up by searching for credible news articles (see below) to falsify or strengthen claims made on TikTok.


YouTube

Similar to TikTok, I receive much of my news information from YouTube. YouTube, similar to many other platforms, is great for easy-to-understand information; however, it usually provides more detailed information than TikTok. Additionally, many news channels have YouTube accounts where they post videos and livestream. This is a great option for anyone to watch news stories from their favorite news sources who do not have or cannot afford a TV provider. However, similar to TikTok, misinformation is unavoidable because it is a platform where anyone can post. Therefore, if you choose to get news from this platform, you should also do your own research.


BBC

One of my favorite sources for credible news articles is the BBC. This website is interesting because it is not an American-owned publication but instead is located in the UK. I like it because I find that the writing is less biased about American affairs than American-owned media. Additionally, I like it covers more world news which gives me a greater sense of what is happening worldwide. I also believe this is a good source to research information I find on social media as mentioned above.

National Geographic

Another interesting, credible news source is National Geographic. I specifically like this source in my daily life because I get regular email notifications about topics I am interested in. For example, I have an affinity with astronomy and space; therefore, I will frequently get emails regarding current astronomical findings and research. Similar to the BBC, I also find that I get a larger sense of worldwide news with National Geographic because their main landing page is filled with articles from various countries. This website is a great source for a variety of topics and views.



Game Rant

Finally, as an avid gamer and game design major in college, Game Rant is a stellar option to keep up to date with new game releases and updates. They cover new games, developer information, information about the best hardware, and so much more! For someone in my major, I would highly recommend checking in on this website frequently to keep ahead of competitors in the field of design. For gamers, I recommend this website because, from my own experience, this is where I first find out about new releases in my favorite studios.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Bonus Blog - Final Presentation Speech - My New Opinion on Blogging

My New Opinion on Blogging and Word to Future Students Now that I have gotten a chance to use Blogger as part of my class experience, I wan...